Favorite Resources at this Time of Coping with Covid
Resources for this Time of Coping with Covid
Appreciations for contributions from Nyra Hill, Tina Siragusa, Anne Mader, Martha Golden and the entire TAP Clinic. Thanks, John
DBT Skills-based Resources
- Skills to remain active and connected while practicing social distancing! www.tapclinicnc.com/copy-of-covid-19-policy-6
- Why I am Freaking Out and other relevant Covid-related Coaching Calls from a DBT Therapist. www.tapclinicnc.com/copy-of-covid-19-policy-3
- DBT trainings and videos to cope when in high distress or emotional misery. www.nowmattersnow.org/get-involved
- Managing Fear and Grief (in Ourselves and our Families) with Alan Fruzzetti, PhD and more helpful videos at www.borderlinepersonalitydisorder.org/webinars/
- Charlie Swenson's DBT podcast To Hell and Back. Check out Episode 72: Italy, the US, the pandemic and DBT (part 2 of 2). I recommend starting with part 2. Note: part 1 includes graphic descriptions.
- DBT Skills for a Pandemic, Julie Matsen, Augusta University Medical College of Georgia.
- DBT-Rutgers has a delightful new series of animated DBT skills training videos.
- From our neighboring Chatham County Schools, Christian Fisher presents DBT skills for coping with the pandemic.
- Here's how to have a household or family meeting that could really work. First Principle: Listening is being prepared to be changed by what you hear. While not DBT per se, this method uses dialectical framing, validating, change and acceptance strategies. www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/well/family/coronavirus-quarantine-conflict-family-meeting.html
- Wonderful essay by Steve Hayes, The Ordinary Corona Hero. www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/get-out-your-mind/202003/the-ordinary-corona-hero-you
- FACE COVID by Russ Harris. Also in Spanish.
- ACT Resources to stay grounded and connected. mailchi.mp/praxiscet/free-resources-and-training-to-help-during-covid-19?e=5395171149
Supportive, meaningful, on the lighter side
- All of this is present in www.saturdaynightseder.com/
- Different World, Same Me by Michele Price, Sarah Spagnoli, & Ben Price. A story to acknowledge the feelings that children have at this time.
- The classic comedy MASH takes on the Covid Pandemic.
- If everything around you seems dark, look again, you may be the light. - Rumi.
- The Sun Magazine. Expansive mindfulness evoked by the written word. For example, One Of Us: On The Social Behavior Of Humans And Other Animals, Mark W. Moffett. And wonderful quotations.
- Experiential Compassion Meditation. tergar.org/covid-19-message/
- Tara Brach on Covid. youtu.be/DgZETpd9h5s
- Headspace. www.headspace.com/work/covid-19.
- Calm. blog.calm.com/blog/free-resources
- Mindful awareness of how our nervous system copes with stress--Deb Dana on Polyvagal Theory (Stephen Porges). www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f3ErVPMV5w
- CBT resources for therapists and the public. beckinstitute.org/covid-19-resources/
- Kristin Neff on Covid and Compassion. centerformsc.org/10-self-compassion-practices-for-covid-19/
- A YouTube video by Chris Germer and Kristin Neff. youtu.be/v76a5o5X5cQ
- Brene Brown's new podcast. brenebrown.com/podcast/introducing-unlocking-us/
- Art Therapy resources for therapists and the public. arttherapy.org/covid-19-resources/
- What is next in my life? I am hearing from folks that these long days are prompting deep reflections on living life in a meaningful way. While aimed at young adults, I love these pages of useful questions (more than the quiz) to tune into our values. www.thevectorimpact.com/what-should-i-do-with-my-life/
Document available here.